Saturday, August 9, 2008

Fun Day Today, again...

I know enough about baseball to be a superstitious person. For instance, since I gave away my Lucky Yankees Chair, the Yankees have not won a World Series - instead, they've blown two of them (2001 and 2003) and lost an ALCS in a devastating fashion (2004). So, I would NEVER say that I thought that this week's chemo wasn't as bad as previous weeks, because The Boy has been wonderful and fun and relatively side effect-free. I would NEVER say that, because that would just bring the Karma Police crashing down upon my bald head faster than you can say "Rally Cap."

However, he's kept his appetite quite well this weekend, which is a marked difference from the past two weeks. Today, he had a good chunk of omelette (my feta omelette went over much better than my wife's plain eggs), some bread and some home fries for breakfast; a small lunch; and some hamburger and lots of macaroni salad for dinner. Last weekend, we were really worried and stressed out over the fact that he ate almost nothing. Thank G-d that that's not an issue today, so far.

We had a really nice day today. We did our usual walk to the diner then the Farmer's Market, whcih went really well until we were actually at the market, when I got cranky and tired. This week, I've given up coffee and caffeine: the only caffeine I've had is two cups with breakfast on my birthday and some diet Mountain Dew today. So, by this morning, my body was pretty well shot. I know I'll be better in another couple of days and be through the worst of the caffeine D.T.s, but it hit me today. I was anxious, tired and light-headed, which made for a fun walk home.

Fortunately, The Boy & I napped for an hour or so when we got home. He woke up, and I handed him off to his mother and went back to sleep for another 90 minutes. (Thank you, Logical Mommy!) When I woke up, we left for Uncle B's and Aunt L's house for a barbeque. It was a really, really nice afternoon. There were lots of doggies there - Uncle B's two dogs, Aunt L's father's dog, and Aunt L's sister's dog. That drove my wife's allergies nuts and bugged me a tad - not as much as her, because my allergy meds for my asthma makes it easier for me. The Boy didn't seem to be affected at all, and had some fun (gently) touching them. He played in the grass for quite some time with keys and stuff like that. He charmed everyone there, like he usually does, by being a sweet and wonderful baby. He fell asleep later when we were played "Scene It!" on Uncle B's XBox 360.

Fortunately, much of their lawn was shady by the late afternoon, when we got to Uncle B's. Apparently, the chemo that we're on makes The Boy more sensitive to the sun. We're not planning on finding that out; we put Blanket In A Bottle on him whenever he's going to be out in the sun for longer than a couple of minutes, and we don't take him outside, if we can avoid it, during peak sun hours.

I kind of wonder what "sensitive to the sun" really means. I assume it means that he gets burned more easily and that his eyes are not comfortable in the bright, bright sunlight. Whatever. I don't intend to expose him to either. My wife and I are not outdoors people. (I'm pretty sure that she's not a vampire, but - then again - I'm not sure if I've ever seen her actually exposed to direct sunlight before.)

My ambition is to take The Boy to mass tomorrow morning, to say hi to everyone at my church gig. If I can, great; if I can't, I'm not going to stress over it. We'll see how we feel in the morning.

No comments: