Thursday, August 28, 2008


A little bit of drama at the hospital, as played out in my wife's blog. Head over there for the full report. I can't help feeling more than a little guilty at that, considering that I think that I could have gotten him to drink the contact fluid a little better than my mother-in-law. Whatever - they have some experience with babies, even stubborn ones like my son.

Band camp finished acceptably. I'm very pleased with my teaching throughout the camp, as I felt that I maintained a positive attitude, quick pace and high standard. It helps that this is a "typical" group of band kids - hard working, good attitude and fun-loving. The sleeping accomodations sucked big time - I was sharing a room with The Chief, and I slept on two or three inch-think "mattresses" on the floor. Not the best sleeping situation for me, considering that my knees were killing me when I woke up. (Isn't that weird? I don't know why my knees - which suffer from a muscular issue lately - are hurting after I'm sleeping. Whatever.) But, I survived.

I got home at 11 o'clock last night, and The Boy was asleep. He woke up a little bit, looking for some nursing, and cried at me until I handed him off. He wound up with us around 2AM, and he was very happy to see me in the morning! Of course, I was just happy to see him at all. I left early in the morning for New Teacher stuff, and my wife and mother-in-law took him to chemo today.

We found out that the surgery will be next week. He'll be checked in on Wednesday afternoon after lunch. They'll run the tests that they need to run at that point, and he'll be brought in for surgery first thing Thursday morning. If things stay true to plan, then he'll be able to nurse on Friday and be out of intensive care by Sunday. This surgery shouldn't be as traumatic as the last one - the tumor is MUCH smaller, even though they're also going to take care of some inflamation of the lymph nodes caused by the previous surgery.

I hope, caused by the previous surgery. When I hear about new things appearing on scans, I'm a little paranoid.

I got kicked out of the building at 1:30, and I napped with The Boy until 3. We went on our usual walk, which was as fun as usual.

It was difficult being away. I didn't like it at all.

No comments: