Saturday, August 16, 2008

Return to normalcy?

Well, he fell asleep last night at a relatively normal time. Only thing was, he wouldn't sleep in his crib last night. Every time we tried to move him from my wife's lap to his crib, he woke up after a short amount of time. Not a huge deal, as we were resting and cleaning out the TiVo. (Doctor Who is awesome. This season's finale was awe-inspiring and truly fascinating and entertaining.) Again, last night, we were going to head to services, but the three of us fell asleep and didn't wake up in time to go.

One does not wake a sleeping baby without paying the price.

Anyway, we slept this morning until about 8 o'clock and did our usual Saturday morning thing: breakfast at the diner and peruse the farmer's market downtown. It was fine, even though my knee is irritatingly sore. Afterwards, we drove to the Costco stores in Union and East Hanover, chasing down a recliner chair to replace the P.O.S. chair that we need to throw away. The Boy napped in the morning, played HARD before we left, and napped in the car quite well. Right now, The Wife and he are going to Shop Rite. I'm watching the end of the Yankees game before exercising.

It's a difficult thing, trying to figure out why a chemo baby is crying. Last night, it was obvious that The Boy had caught a little bug: his temperature was up to around 99 (it's normally in the mid-to-high 97's) and he was grumpy and cranky. His nose has been running greatly, as well. (Well, why don't you catch it? Hm.) Fortunately, the house is reasonably temperate right now - not too hot, not too cold - which makes life that much easier.

One knows that one has bought into parenthood when wiping the baby's nose with a finger (when a tissue or handkerchief is unavailable) isn't a big deal.

I wonder what's going to happen when I come back to school. I'm a little concerned - the previous director left his job in the middle of the summer, which means that most of the students have no idea that he left. Nothing is more unappreciated than coming to school and finding a new band director. Sigh. I'm sure I'll be okay - I'm a friendly dude, and I have a decent reputation around town thanks to my work with the marching band last year.

I can't believe that the school year starts in a week (with the beginning of band camp). It seems like only yesterday that I was home from school on the first day of school for the first time since... well, 1978, when I was 4 years old. I already miss it: the enforced one-on-one time with my baby is time that I will treasure forever. This past year was a wonderful, relaxing, enjoyable year! Don't get me wrong - I'm looking forward to teaching again. But, it was a very good year...

No comments: