Sunday, September 7, 2008

Hey, Jealousy...

(Extra points if you know the song.)

The Boy has started an entertaining new trick. As many who know me will attest, I'm an affectionate person. I like to hug my friends when I see them - not just give a handshake. I still roughhouse (gently) with my father and brothers. I like physical contact. I hold hands with my wife whenever I have the opportunity, and I like snuggles with my family as often as possible. This morning, The Boy had crawled down to the foot of the bed to stretch out during an extended wake-up time (lo-o-o-ve Sunday mornings). I snuggled up close to my wife and put my head on her shoulder. He crawled up and began pushing me off my wife. When I had retreated to a safe distance, he stuck his thumb in his mouth and flopped on top of her as a little-boy-blanket.

It's very cute. He's very possessive of his mommy. He does not want to share her at all! This isn't the first time he's done it, and I'm sure it won't be the last.

At the party last week, it really was funny watching him interact with Baby Z, who is a year older. The Boy gives kisses and hugs by touching his forehead to the other person's forehead, and The Boy was trying to give hugs and kisses to Baby Z. Baby Z, who doesn't know The Boy and was a little wary of this other little person, was having none of it and retreating faster than The Boy could follow.

Babies are entertaining.

This weekend wasn't as bad as we had feared, chemo-wise. I mean, The Boy did spend some time throwing up last night, which was scary. But, he cried when I gave him the anti-nausea meds and not when he was hacking, coughing and puking. From a fortunate timing perspective, he started hacking and cough when he was in his high chair with a bib on, so all that happened was a change of bib and a wipedown of the high chair table. He ate dinner afterwards.

During weekends like this - the tough chemo weekends - he generally doesn't eat much. Yesterday and Friday were no exceptions. He played with the food on his plate and put the food in his mouth to taste, but he spit it back out and did not eat very much. I think that Diaper Hell week went a lot better than we had any reasonable expectation that it would, but I'm glad that we only had a short marching band session on Saturday so that I was available to help out.

Today, after church, I came home and ate lunch with the family. My wife went grocery shopping, and The Boy and I played until we fell asleep watching the Jets game. (Jets won, 20-14. Both New York teams are 1-0, and Michigan won on Saturday and Rutgers won on Monday of last week. Good football week. I'm hoping that the Yankees will win today, taking 3 of 4 from a horrible Seattle team, making a great sports weekend.) Now, we're snacking until I go outside and put his baby tricycle together.

No comments: