Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Haven't Lost My Mojo Yet...

Over the past couple of months, I've occasionally found myself growing quite frustrated with my inability to soothe The Boy when he's needed it. It's been a source of anxiety for the three of us, that The Boy needed Momma to soothe him about 85% of the time. Intellectually, we know that it was just a phase that all children go through - kids in the first few years tend to pendulum back and forth between the two parents depending on their immediate emotional and physical and intellectual needs. So, whatever, I knew the worm would turn eventually.

Today was a nice reminder that I am, indeed, a comfort to my child.

The Wife left me & grandpa with The Boy at about 8-ish last night. At 10 (when I was dozing off, sitting in the crib with TB), grandpa left, and I was left alone with a reasonably mobile, definitely alert baby for the first time in a while.

No problem.

Interestingly enough, he didn't nurse at all at night - I mean, he took no milk until the next morning.The ultrasound went well - he complained loudly about the test, but he held his body very, very still and allowed the doctors to do their thing. Since we were unhooked, as I said below, we wandered for quite a while before settling in the atrium.

For the rest of the afternoon, he napped or dozed or just hung on me like a little monkey. All he needed from me was to be with me: he'd read over my shoulder (so to speak) or watch TV or just stare off into space. It was a really nice feeling, and it was comforting to me to know that I could help him feel a little bit better.

Even tonight, when we got home, he boosted himself off of my wif'es lap to come to me, and "crazy baby time" was divided equally between the two of us.

Darn, it's great to be home. Even the painful, wracking asthma cough that I've developed feels a little bit better. We're both taking half days from school tomorrow - The Wife the first half, me the second - so that we can sleep some extra and snuggle some extra. Personally, I intend to walk down to the comic book store with The Boy, then walk up to the post office and CVS, then walk home - a nice, normal walk around town for the two of us. Depending on the weather, of course - it needs to be sunny and reasonably temperate.

I'm exhausted. Good night. Tomorrow, I'll unpack, figure out the next stage of The Boy's treatment, and put my life back together. Well, the latter will wait until Thursday.

1 comment:

Sarah R said...

Aw, that is so sweet! I love it when my son wants to snuggle with Dadddy. It is so darn sweet. :) If you can, get The Wife to take some pics. You can treasure those moments forever...