Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Call me "Pukey McPukesalot"

Cute morning, as The Boy was in a wonderful mood, waving hi and bye-bye to everybody in the house. All smiles, all hugs, lots of babbling and chatting with nobody in particular. They left around 8:30 to head to the Valerie Fund Center, leaving me here to wait for the Nupagen.

Nupagen, you'll remember, is the drug (administered by injection) that jumpstarts the bone marrow. It's something that The Boy will be on for the duration of his treatment so that he has a fighting chance of actually replacing the red and white cells that he's losing. The nupagen is delivered via courier to our house, which means that someone must be home to take it - they can't leave it at the door because of medical reasons. Without insurance, it's crazy - it's like a thousand bucks per dose or something crazy like that. That means that they'd be leaving something like $25K worth of medicine on the front doorstep... I think not.

So, they left me at home to wait for the nupagen, which is supposed to be delivered at some point between 8 and 11 this morning. Hopefully, as it is now 10:22 and no sign of nupagen. I'm supposed to leave here around noon to meet B at Jimmy Buff's in Florham Park for lunch. After that, I'm attending a youth chorus rehearsal, napping a bit (I hope), then heading to Dapper Dans, which will hopefully be better attended than last week.

Whatever. So far this morning, I've washed the kitchen counters and floor, the dining room floor and the humidifier, as well as straightened up some and finished the thankyou notes. When I'm done with this, I'm going to get back into grading some playing tests.

The Boy puked in the car on the way to the Valerie Fund Center and again once he arrived. They're ordering nupagen there, so it's a little less important that I run a nupagen dose up to the hospital (assuming it actually arrives). Considering the state of his blood counts (low, lower and lowest), it's not entirely surprising that his system is working in funny ways. We'll see what happens.

EDIT: The nupagen was delivered at 10:53. Nothing like waiting for the last minute. And, in solidarity of security, he rang the doorbell, left it on the ground and walked away. Granted, the front door was open, but still.

No comments: