Saturday, February 14, 2009

Life updates, and New Baby Spoilers

If you don't want to know the sex of the new baby, here's the summary update, after which you should stop reading: 1) I'm sick, have been sick all week; 2) The Boy's been a little jerk for the last couple of days, including stopping sleeping; 3) the new baby is healthy and fine.

I spent Thursday at the high school, and the high school director spent the day at my school. Suffice it to say that he had a better time than I did. I'm not used to being mocked by students in a malicious fashion, and I'm really kind of upset about it. While I understand that being the fourth guy in four days to work with a group of high school students has its own problems, I know for a fact that I bring a new and different perspective to teaching than my colleagues. I was not prepared to have an orchestra class being actively mean to me! Worse, the wind ensemble - the top performing group in the high school - was just as mean. Kind of shocking, really. One expects that students with that much talent would have rehearsal etiquette to match. I was pretty darn excited to have the day end, because it was one of the first times in my teaching career that I just wanted to go home at lunchtime instead of finish my day.

I spent the rest of the afternoon wrestling with my computer at school, because I fried the file system on the hard drive. Whatever. I went home, tried to sleep and failed because The Boy was not having a sleeping daddy. The Wife tried to take him out of the room and let me sleep, but he crawled back on the door, beat on it and cried until I came out and picked him up. I stayed home from choir, because my throat was killing me. I actually fell asleep at a decent hour.

Friday was a relatively normal school day. It was REALLY nice to be back "home", as it were, in MY school and MY band room and MY kids. I went home after work, and The Boy had just fallen asleep for his nap. I dropped my computer off at the repair shop (the computer guys at school are way too busy and underfunded to be able to save the documents on the machine. It is really worth $150 or so of my own money to save the hundreds of man-hours of documents on that hard drive). When I get the machine back, I'm also going to soup it up with some more memory. It's a nice machine - 2.6 GHz pentium 4 with a decent hard drive (when I don't screw it up) and no memory. Whatever.

I got back home just in time to help The Boy wake up from his nap. I asked The Wife to take him outside again, with a repeat of Thursday. Okay, that's fine. We ate dinner, played for a while, and he started to fade around 8 or 8:30. We took him inside to go to bed.

The bed-preparation time is beginning to illustrate that he's entering his "Terrible Twos" phase. He does NOT want to take his medicine. He will not eat apple sauce, like he is used to getting his morning and evening blood pressure medication. To make matters worse, he will NOT take the bactrum, the prophylactic antibiotic he has because of the port in his chest. Last night, he spit the medicine out. We're going to try some different ways to give it to him, but it's been a real struggle.

He's also screaming and flailing every time we lay him down to change his diaper. It makes it that much more difficult to avoid poop getting flung everywhere. Considering that he's pooping a LOT - like, four to six times per day, he has poop in his diaper - that makes it difficult to manage him.

But, I digress.

We brought him into his bedroom, and The Wife read him his stories. He was calm and still, yawning and rubbing his eyes. I took over for her while I did some of my schoolwork. Making a long story short, after I was in there for 45 minutes or so, he was AWAKE. He did sleep for a few minutes, but it didn't take. He got out of bed and started to play with everything in his room. We closed the door and I sat in the room with him and tried (unsuccessfully) to prevent him from destroying toys. Eventually, I got frustrated and brought him outside.

I should tell the truth. I didn't get frustrated. It was 10:00 and Battlestar Galactica was starting. He had another poopy diaper and a half, and finally fell asleep in the last ten minutes of the show.

He slept until nearly 8:00 this morning and woke up cranky and grumpy. He cried incessantly until most of the way through breakfast at the dinner, refusing to be comforted by either one of us, some trucks, some stickers and a coloring book with crayons.

We got home from the diner and tried to give him his medicine - no good, except for his blood pressure medication served in ice cream. Maybe we can get a pill-form antibiotic and serve that with ice cream, until he figures that out and won't eat it. (I can't imagine him not eating ice cream, but that's beside the point.) I tried to nap with him in the late morning, but it again didn't take. I think we'll go out to CostCo and walk around for a while in the hope that that calms him down.

The new baby seems healthy - the correct number of fingers, toes and bodily organs with no tumors that we could find. (Hooray!) The Wife had them look carefully at the kidneys just to see if anything weird was visible. They then went hunting for the sex of the baby. The fetus was shy at first before flipping over and exposing himself to the ultrasound machine:

It's a BOY! A baby brother for The Boy! I guess I'll have to come up with a name for the new little one when he is born. Maybe it'll be The Boy and The Baby, or The Boy and The Other Boy or something.

We're thinking about names. We have three lists: NO, Short List, and Shorter List.


Bill said...

Derek Jeter May
Alex Roidreguez May
Broken Condom May

Kids like to get in there with the poop. Hand him a toy before you start changing, see if that helps.

the mol said...

I think I will refer to them as "The Boy" and "Baby Bear" for now.