Sunday, July 5, 2009

Thoughts on a Long, Long Day

As we were welcoming Baby Boy into the fold, The Boy was being checked into the stepdown unit with high fever and vomiting. He has the same stomach thing that I've been fighting for the last couple of days, and - considering that he's really nutrapenic - he's checking into the Hotel St. Barnabas for a few days. I don't think this is going to be one of the major long stays, but it wouldn't necessarily surprise me, either. The good comes with the bad, as G-d reminds us all the time. The scales balance themselves out over the long term.

The Boy is doing well tonight. He's not too thrilled to be in the hospital right now, considering that the stomach thing is pretty awful. He feels like he has to poop, but he can't; instead, he's been projectile vomiting. Considering that this really started Tuesday night at the restaurant, maybe this didn't come from one of the germy little people at my former summer gig... Anyway, he's pretty miserable right now.

He'll get blood and platelets tonight, so the Benedryl and Tylenol should help him get through the night easily enough. I'm glad about that. Grandma is with him. When I saw him, he was whiny and mopey, complaining, "Poo! Poo!" That's how we know it's a stomach thing. Hopefully, they'll give him some anti-gas / anti-diarrhea thing to get him through.

The Wife is doing quite well. She did tear in the birthing process, but not as badly as when The Boy was born. Baby Boy is even bigger - 9-4, compared with 8-7, and an extra half-inch long. Think a grapefruit at the end of a toothpick. Still cute, though. She's resting reasonably comfortably. Baby Boy latched right on and started to feed, so that's going well.

This labor was harder on her than The Boy's labor. This wasn't induced, so it took longer to develop and longer to complete. It was very uncomfortable for a much longer time. The worst part of the whole thing was the fact that those little delivery beds aren't made for women her height, and it was just uncomfortable. Having the exericse ball helped until they broke her water, and it took a while to find a position - on her knees, leaning against the back of the bed - that was comfortable.

My niece was there for the whole day. She was wonderful - a huge help to both of us. She's studying to be a physician's assistant next year, so it was cool to have her there. She's also an EMT, which made us feel a little safer. Great kid - smart, talented, motivated, beautiful. Loved having her there - she's a special young lady, that's for sure, and an important part of my life. It was really special sharing this with her.

Baby Boy is doing lots better. He was asleep when I checked on him at 10:30. They cleaned him up nicely and bathed him, and he passed all of his tests with flying colors. Nice set of lungs on him, nice pink color, nice head of hair. (The only boy in the house with hair on his head...)He has more of my wife in his looks than The Boy did, but he's definitely my son. I'm looking forward to getting to know him.

Well, it's now 11:20PM. I'm exhausted, having gotten about 90 minutes of sleep last night and a 15 minute catnap this afternoon (while listening to Classical Baby - the Poetry Show on my iPod). I'm going to try to sleep for about 12 hours tonight, so that I can kick the last of this stupid cold / virus / infection. It's been a long day. I know my wife had a harder day, but I need to get myself in order because - well - I'm the daddy, and I have stuff to do.

(Schoolwork front: wrote two classes' worth of essays in the last two days. Pretty impressive, no?)

No comments: