Wednesday, September 9, 2009

First Solo Flight?

Tonight was my first significant chunk of time with the two boys by myself. I've taken them on walks before, but this was the first time that I actually had both boys to myself for a couple of hours. Not as much fun as I'd like.

So, The Wife leaves for orchestra practice at 6:50. By 7, both children are screaming bloody murder. Younger Bro was the more serious, so I tried to soothe him. The Boy worked his issue out reasonably quickly, when he figured out that I wasn't going to give him Rice Chex (he's already constipated, doesn't need more rice). After 30 minutes of screaming, Younger Bro finally calmed down. The clincher was running the bathwater - the white noise sound calmed him down. I'm happy about that. He took some milk then fell asleep. I put him in his bed.

The Boy was watching Elmo in the bedroom by himself during much of this, just kind of playing with a broom for a while. I changed him, finished his meds, and sat him on my lap to watch some baseball. My colleague from work called, and we chatted for fifteen minutes or so - I avoid work stuff on this blog very strongly, but I find it interesting that he trusts a college senior implicitly, yet needs to explain basic marching band technique to a guy who's been successfully teaching it for a decade now. Sigh.

Anyway, The Boy nodded off during the conversation. I changed him - he was stone cold asleep on the changing table - and put him in bed. He squawked at me briefly, then remained asleep and hasn't stirred.

I did a little bit of housework, then started shaving. Of course, with a head full of shaving cream, that was when Younger Bro woke up and started yelling. I finished shaving hurredly, then stuck a bottle in his mouth. He drank half, then fell asleep, woke up, drank more, fell asleep. I moved him into his bed and turned the lullabies back on. Whew. Then, I actually showered.

It's 10:20, and I'm exhausted. Don't get me wrong - three hours with the children is NOT that bad. It's certainly nothing in comparison to The Wife spending the entire day at the Valerie Fund with him. But, considering that I haven't slept a full night in months and have started work after a 16 hour day yesterday, I'm pretty beat. Now, I'm going to bed.

No comments: