Thursday, June 24, 2010

Rough Night

Yesterday, I had a quartet job in the late afternoon, which I followed with a quick workout - doing squats a day after doing deadlifts. Not a great combination, as walking is painful today, but cie la vie. I'm a big boy. I got home just in time to kiss Younger Bro goodnight and play saxophone for a little bit. I've actually practiced the last four weekdays, which is a nice start. The only problem? I don't know what I'm playing for. There isn't an audition coming up, as far as I know. It's hard to practice a woodwind without a focusing agent. So, last night, I did some scales in 3rds, some overtones, some tuning, and lots of vibrato, then some chromatics, and called it a night.

I went upstairs and retrieved The Boy from Grandma & Mommy. She went off to practice bass while I put him to bed. He asked to watch "Classical Baby" one last time before bed; I have no problem with Classical Baby, two or three stories, then bed. The little stinker, halfway through, stuck his thumb in his mouth looked into my eyes, and passed out asleep. From marching on the bed to complete unconsciousness in less than 30 seconds. So, I finished a couple of chapters in my book (#nowreading "Contact" by Carl Sagan), picked him up, and put him to bed. No muss, no fuss, no nothing. I went downstairs, did some gold farming on Final Fantasy XIII (only one more mission to complete, but I need fully upgraded weapons and characters, which I can't afford right now), watched some baseball, talked with my wife, and went to bed. She joined me a little while later, and we were all asleep before midnight.

1AM: The Boy woke up. I changed his VERY wet diaper and put him back to sleep. 1:45: The Boy woke up again and required some extra nurturing. Long story short - didn't get back to sleep before 3:15. 3:45: Younger Bro woke up. 4:50: Younger Bro again. 6:00: EVERYONE woke up. Fortunately, my wife is a lot more patient and understanding than I am, and she got both boys to eventually get back to sleep. We all slept until 8 o'clock.

Praise to G-d for inventing coffee. That's all I'm sayin'.

On the good news front, I got a summer job yesterday: July 12 through August 6 (the most important day of the year; indeed, the most important day in history, being the anniversary of my birth) teaching Kindergarten through 4th grade music at a summer program. It's only $50 a day, but it's for 4 hours of work with a predetermined curriculum. Considering that they called me and offered me the job without an interview, I think that they were a little desperate to get a body in the classroom; wouldn't be surprised if it's idiot-type curriculum. Whatever. I just need to meet people so I can get work for next year.


RunJazz88 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Reluctant Crunchy Mama said...

Ouch. Rough night is right. Wakings that last over an hour kill me. I feel for you guys! How is The Boy sleeping on his own bed working out otherwise? Hoping that is going ok!