Thursday, October 7, 2010

A (somewhat) Interesting Evening

So, I was going to write a blog post last night about how it is difficult to make plans with young children because of the unpredictability of naps and nighttime sleeping and such. I was also going to say how Tuesday night was an easy bedtime night, and Wednesday night was shaping up similarly. I was interrupted by The Boy, who had woken up screaming.

I went into his room with the intention of cuddling him back to sleep in his bed - calm him down, get him settled, and return to the baseball playoffs. No such luck; he was obviously in physical discomfort. His little body was also HOT; not just snuggled under blankets hot, but feverish hot. I know my sons' body temperatures pretty well, and I can usually tell their temperature within about .2 or .3 of a degree Farenheit. 103.2 axillary (under the arm), which USED to be "You load him in the car, I'll pack my toiletries and a book or two. Come tomorrow morning with a change of clothes, please."

Now? Some Tylenol, lots of snuggles, watch "Winnie the Pooh" at 10:30PM, and call the doctor in the morning. Neither child slept much last night, as their immunizations and flu shots backed up on them. Is this how normal parents deal with illness? I just don't feel panicked in the remotest. Concerned, yes; aware of every little twitch, cough, sneeze, yawn, and eye rub; but not freaking out in the remotest. We are going to the doctor's office, but tomorrow morning and not today.

Not that I'm in a rush to get to the pediatrician's office... when we were there on Tuesday, it took more than two hours for one wellness checkup and two rounds of immunizations. That is, two adults and two toddlers sat in a six by ten room for two hours. I know that that doesn't happen all the time, but it has happened on my last two visits with two boys.

Again, not a huge deal. We're thrilled with the treatment that we've gotten from Dr. Weinkle, and we've been on the express lane for doctor care for 20 of the past 28 months. We've had much reason to walk in the door of the hospital or doctor's office and be taken directly to caretakers. Right now, not so much; an appointment with a healthy baby (well-baby visit) and immunizations for another healthy kid should NOT be a priority. The times that we've gone with a sick child, we've gotten perfectly wonderful help. So, with the two parents with both children, we can live with being a little grumpy.

So, Younger Bro is now in bed. The Boy is bugging Grandma for more food. Mommy is doing some paperwork, and here I am. I've got some more writing to do tonight while I watch the end of the baseball game. We're praying that tonight is an easier night; we've had a couple of no-sleep nights in a row. Both boys took one nap today, as did Mommy and Daddy.

1 comment:

Johanna S said...

Ouch. Is one boy waking up the other or are both of them getting up? Either way, I'm hoping for more sleep for all of you. We had vaccinne issues this week too. Hope the kids are feeling better. And yay for seeing the dr and not needing medical attention asap!