Friday, August 12, 2011

Review: Dora Live!: Dora's Pirate Adventure

Last week, we tried to get tickets for Dora's Pirate Adventure at the Pittsburgh Children's Museum and failed. The shows - at 2:30 and 4:30 - were completely sold out. I bought tickets for the next week's show. Finally, Friday came around, and we went to the show today.

The boys had haircuts today, and The Boy fell asleep in the car on the way home from the haircut. I grabbed him from the car and brought him inside, and he slept in my lap until a little before 1:30. Side note: it is so nice to have a little boy curled up on your lap!!! We woke up, ran to Starbucks for a cup of coffee and a treat, then drove to the museum for the show. We parked and ran inside, getting in line for the show at a little bit after 2:00 for the 2:3 performance.

The Boy didn't want to sit and wait; I think he used that skill up yesterday at the amusement park. He wanted to go into the next room and play with all of the cool stuff, and I wouldn't let him - not at $20 a ticket, you know? He and a bunch of the other children ran around the place like chickens with no heads for a while, then he sat with me as the show began.

He was not too happy to be awake and had a difficult time conceptualizing the show, which meant that he wasn't behaving as well as he could have behaved. I think I was more excited to see the show than he was! During the show, he participated somewhat, waving the "pirate flag" (some ribbons tied together) and shouting somewhat at the characters when prompted. Mostly, he sat on my lap or next to me, sucking his thumb and getting his allotment of daddy belly.

The show itself was glorious: the acting was cute and enthusiastic, the singing was decent (albeit mostly canned, but I'm pretty sure that the actors - mostly college kids by the looks of them - were singing along), and the costumes were recognizable and fun. The dancing was neat as well, and the scenery - though sparse - was used to nice effect. I think I enjoyed it every bit as much as The Boy did. The sound system itself was atrocious, consisting of two marching band-outdoor quality speakers and a bunch of nice headsets. That's why I'm not sure how much of the singing was canned, because the speakers were preventing balance from coming out.

Grandma gave The Boy some money for souvenirs, which we used to buy the video of the cartoon episode and the storybook that goes along with it. The outing was an unconditional success, without a doubt. This particular branch of the show runs Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays at 2:30 and 4:30 through September 4. Tickets are $20, and buy them in advance.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: