Monday, September 19, 2011

Long Weekend

Friday, I came home for a brief meal and playmate with my children before leaving for Toledo, Ohio, and the Region 17 Harmony Weekend with my chorus. This is the first time in a while that I've been away from them for this long; I've spent a night away here or there, most recently last month when I drove Aunt P to Connecticut, but I haven't spent two nights away since... April, I think, and the barbershop contest.

This was the first time, however, that The Boy really understood that I was leaving and that he wouldn't see me for a while. He was not happy about it, as I outlined last week, but he dealt with it reasonably well. I did keep my promise and web chatted with him on Saturday afternoon, which was really nice for all of us. Little Bear was more interested than The Boy in talking, as he was quite proud of drawing a J on Grandma's iPad.

The trip was great - successful performance, lots of new knowledge, and some new friends. Kind of exhausting, though - as a leader, one is always "on" during situations like these. One little thoughtless remark, an offhand comment overheard by a passerby, and suddenly, the new director (particularly being a male director of a women's group) is a jerk. So, it's a couple of days of paying attention to everything I do and say.

That's not a bad thing, mind you. I truly want to be that sort of person, a positive leader that is known for being uplifting and supportive of the people around him. I don't want to be known as an arrogant, egotistical tyrant or a whiny, complaining little thing. "Forcing" myself to act like that is great practice for trying to be that person all of the time.

I got home today around 4:30, and they got home from their party soon after. One of Grandma's colleagues has a little girl turning two, and the boys went to her birthday party. Cutest thing, when I met them in the garage: three sleeping boys in the backseat of the car!

I took the older two boys upstairs, and they both briefly napped on my lap. Is there any better way to be welcomed home, than by fifteen minutes of snuggles? I think not. The Boy actually stayed asleep until nearly seven pm, which was just dandy. Little Bear and I got some nice playing time outside. He loves that chalk, which he calls "colors." "Give me colors, Daddy!"

Little Bear went to bed early because he missed his nap besides the short nap in the car and on my lap, and The Boy woke up and was remarkably pleasant company for the remainder of the evening. We put a new car seat in the car for him, which we bought by trading in the old jumparoo - when we gave it to a family a year or so ago, never expecting to need it again. When they gave it back, it had lots of pet hair on it. Considering our volatile allergies, we traded it in to Babies R Us and got a new convertible car/booster seat instead. We watched some television, and he played with Mum while I knocked a half dozen items off of my to do list (or at least moved them to the next step towards completion.

The Boy went to bed around 11:30, which was twenty minutes after Mum. That's fine. He might be a joy tomorrow, though. We shall see.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: