Sunday, November 6, 2011


It's been an... interesting week, to say the least. Last Saturday, i wound up going to bed a little bit early, feeling somewhat drained from spending a day running around after the children. I woke in the middle of the night with a fever and chills, which kicked off two straight days in bed sick. Worst part of the whole thing? I had actually arranged a shift switch at work for Halloween, so that I could go trick or treating with the boys. Instead, I wound up asleep in bed for most of the week. Tuesday, I was back to work for a half day. Wednesday was my first real work day of the week, which was fortunate: no extracurricular activities beyond playing with children at night. Thursday was my dress rehearsal, and I started feeling kind of awful about fifteen minutes into rehearsal. When I got home, my temperature was over a hundred and rising.

What made things so much better for me and for us was that both of the older children were sick as well. I'm fairly certain that they didn't get it from me, as they've been sporting seasonally-appropriate runny noses for a week or so. I spent Thursday night in The Boy's bed to comfort him; we are fairly certain that we've reprogrammed his core into "sick means sleeping with Daddy or Grandma," and we were happy to oblige.

Side note, because I really enjoy pointing this out: his temperature hit 100.5 axillary.18 months ago, that would mean the following: I would take a quick shower, throw my hospital bag in the car, throw The Boy's hospital bag in the car, and get going. The Wife would call the doctors to get the isolation room ready for us and inform as to the symptoms, the start the email and telephone chain to get us whatever help we needed for the next day or two, then load The Boy into the car. We would prepare for a weeklong stay at La Casa de Hospital. Isn't it wonderful that a fever of 100.5 is not just annoying to all of us? But, I digress.

Friday morning, my wife left for work, leaving me with three boys in the morning until Grandma and Aunt J were ready to do their thing for the day. Bad move on my part for accepting even that little bit of responsibility: I was not up for even fifteen minutes of daddy duty. Grandma came downstairs to see what was going on, took one look at me, took the baby, and sent me back to bed. Next thing I knew, it was 2:30, I had been to the doctor's office, told I had (a cold similar to but not really) the flu, and sent back home. Not a great sign when you don't really remember driving yourself back and forth to the doctor's office. Pretty much, the day was an epic fail of illness.

I didn't regain sentience until Saturday morning, which was when I had to get up and get ready for my chorus's first annual show with me as director. The show went marvelously; I am really proud to be directing this chorus and so, so happy about the performance and everybody's involvement. The Boy came to the performance, with my father and my wife, and he seemed to have a really good time. Bonus: he was well behaved and cute at the afterglow. He made a friend for life with the baritone of Maxx Factor, our guest quartet and reigning Sweet Adelines champions: she took him up to get a piece of CAKE, which was demolished in short order.

After the show, The Wife went to the afterglow from my old chorus while I stayed home and rested. Good thing: my fever finally broke this morning, which seems to have had the ironic effect of waking me up for the day at 4:15am on fall back day. Sigh. At least I won't be alone for long; the children aren't aware of fall back, so they will be up momentarily, I am certain. Maybe not; Little Bear was sick all day, so he might sleep, and The Boy and The Baby can frequently be convinced to give us a little more sleep. Wish us luck.

No comments: