Thursday, January 3, 2013

Little Boys

Before I had children, I never liked using public bathrooms. I'd always go into the farthest stall from anybody else. Since having children, I've become a lot more relaxed about the whole thing. There's something about an infant or toddler staring intently at your junk, waiting for some potty-type action to begin, that can reduce one's inate shy feelings. I'm not sure how I feel about that, but that's how their world works. Since they've had someone up their junk since birth, they're a lot more relaxed about private moments (for the time being, anyway); they assume you feel similarly.

This morning, I was doing my normal morning ablutions when The Baby stuck himself into the bathroom to watch. "Daddy!" he said. "Um... um... um... ... ... DADDDY!" at that, he turned around and scampered away. His latest thing? Singing along with the radio. I listen to a lot of barbershop quartet music, and most of them end with somebody singing a high note for a long time. He's started singing the last note, "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" It's very cute.

Little Bear has been very reluctant to go to the downstairs bathroom in our house. I think he's a little freaked out because there's no window and because he has to go past the washing machine to get there. He prefers to use our bathroom upstairs when he has a choice. He, too, likes singing along with the radio, although he generally prefers singing the songs he learns at school and temple.

Last week, The Wife was singing at the adult services. He went with Grandma and stayed all the way until the end! He sang with every song he knew. She took him out during the sermon (not the finest part of the service, from a 3 year old's perspective) and brought him back for the end. A couple from the congregation did the kiddush blessing at the end; right after they finished, Little Bear asked loudly, "Are we done yet?" Little Bear wasn't being disrespectful; because he had sat so well and participated so thoroughly, the general public thought it was funny.

That boy is way, way more patient with that stuff than I am.

The Boy and I, during that same time, went to the gaming store and bought some paint. Grandpa bought us a wooden train model, and we painted the parts on Friday night and Saturday night. Sunday, we put it together. It was a small child's model - the whole thing is held together with little screws, and it's very easily assembled. We had a really, really good time painting and assembling it. He did 85% of the whole painting; I just finished it off and did some of the delicate edges.

I'm very proud of him for that.

No comments: