Monday, February 4, 2013

Run 'em 'til they drop

Friday night, we had Tot Shabbat at Rodef Shalom, and that's always an awful lot of fun. They had brinner (breakfast for dinner), and then I got to be Mordechai in a the Purim story. I wore an outrageously fake white beard and a cool hat. The kids were alternating between amused and concerned about the beard thing.

Yes, that is a picture of The Boy trying to write his name on his name tag after he already put it on.

Saturday, I worked. The Wife let me exercise before work (I'm thinking about resuming exercising in the morning, which means getting up at 5:15 or so on workout days - not sure if that's going to happen, but I think it'll be better than doing it at 10pm), which is always really, really nice. After work, I found The Wife sleeping under a pile of little boys; never missing an opportunity, I slid into bed and caught an hour's nap.

After the nap (they had napped almost four hours!!), we had a discussion about what we could do. I wasn't sure what we COULD do - we're broke, it was snowing (not enough to go sledding), and there isn't much we can do indoors with little kids, outside of the house. So, we stayed in. She cooked corned beef sandwiches on the Foreman grill (kind of like a panini), we played Wii bowling (and The Boy continued his streak and whalloped me by 40 pins), watched a show, and cleaned the house.

The Baby and Little Bear helped The Wife fold laundry and sort it into piles, and The Boy threw a massive fit. I took him upstairs and put him in his room (after removing the Trio blocks) until he calmed down and got ready to help me. I was almost done, but he and I used a Clorox wipe and cleaned the tub. I showed him how to spread the wipe out with his hand for maximum surface area and made sure he didn't do anything like try to wipe his nose with the wipe, but he did the work.

Sunday morning, The Wife had normal Sunday school and a "Lunch 'n Learn" at work, so I'd have the boys by myself (basically) until 2:30 or so. Grandpa graciously took us out to breakfast, and we watched a few episodes of Batman: The Brave and the Bold after we got back. We went to the JCC for the Open Gym time, which is always a lot of fun. Little Bear decided that he wanted to wear the Superman costume all day, so he wore it to the gym. It was really, really cute watching him run around, playing, in his Superman outfit, and people responded very positively to that.

After the open gym, we went up to the playroom to have lunch and kill some time, then we brought the older boys downstairs to change for their swimming class. I'm still not sure if I'm sold on the swimming class, but I'm honestly not sure how much different the class is from their lessons. I taught an awful lot of swimming lessons, but I did the kids that were a little more advanced than the boys are. I don't remember teaching that particular age/skill group very often. The Boy has a tough time staying by the wall and not screwing around, which is shocking only if you've never met me or my wife. I stayed out of the teachers' discipline zone, mostly because I didn't want to hover.

The Baby had gamely attempted to keep up with his older brothers all morning. He was getting progressively grouchier as the morning and early afternoon wore on, and he sat in my lap and groused until he got my iPhone. Because he was snuggly and tired, he and I were able to sit in the chairs by poolside and observe - this made Little Bear quite happy, because he was feeling a little tired and insecure as well. The Baby fell asleep about ten minutes into the class and stayed asleep until he woke up while the boys were getting dressed - a total of about thirty minutes.

The rest of the afternoon passed napless, which showed later on while we were at Grandma's house for the big game. I chased after the kids while The Wife was working on her lesson plans, and then she chased after them while I was doing some chorus work. About ten minutes after I finished my chorus work, The Boy came up to me and said, "Daddy, I'm really, really tired. Will you please take me home so I can go to sleep in my own bed?" So, I got to watch about ten plays in the entire game. Good thing I don't really like football. He and I went home about a half hour earlier than The Wife and the other boys, and I gave him his own bath and stories. The Wife put the other two bed fairly quickly. I sat with her for a few minutes while she did some recordings, then I went to bed around 10:30 or so.

This was a fairly typical weekend: a lot of running around, a lot of things to do, yet a relatively slow pace with room for relaxation. I'm happy about that.

No comments: