Sunday, August 25, 2013

Weekend Warrior

So, this weekend, The Wife was at her sister's bridal shower (or whatever they're calling it), leaving me with the boys all weekend. This was particularly interesting because this was the first weekend that I was alone with the boys overnight. Spoilers: it was fine.

Friday, we had dinner at Grandma's house. I got there after work, and the two bigger boys were running around playing, and the littlest boy was asleep on Grandpa's lap. Nothing like a 4-5:30pm nap to make sure bedtime GPS smoothly. Sigh. Anyway, it was a very nice dinner, and we played, and then went home. 1 and 2 went to bed without too much of an issue, and 3 was awake until about 10:30. I woke up with only two boys in bed with me, which is one less than what I was expecting.

Saturday, I had work, so the kids went to Grandma's house again. Miscommunication at the end of the work day: Grandma lost her phone, and she and the boys went to the Family Park to swim. I expected them back at their house around 3:30, and they weren't. I waited until 4, then finally got a call from Grandpa's phone (which is basically never on) letting me know where they were. Sigh. I drove out to get them. So, plans change: instead of having them home at 4, we got home at 5:30.

We had a nice, simple dinner of noodles and sauce and cheese, with a side dish of fruit. After dinner, the highlight of the weekend for me: milkshakes! We made fresh, homemade milk shakes using yogurt, bananas, ice cream, almond milk, and a touch of honey. For the chocolate shake, we used a spoonful or two of cocoa powder. For the strawberry shake, we used a full thing of strawberry Greek yogurt.

Only thing I would have done differently was to use chocolate almond milk for the chocolate shake, and I would have liked to have had a couple of strawberries left over for that one. Probably an extra scoop of ice cream, too. Small complaints, really.

The boys helped out quite nicely. They peeled the bananas, measured the milk, and operated the machine. I think they enjoyed it that much more because they helped make them.

Bedtime was much easier because the naps were earlier in the day and before the swimming. (I bribed 1 and 2 to keep 3 awake on the car ride home, which they did.) I don't think 3 took more than about 25 seconds to fall asleep.

Friday night, The Baby was up about four or five times and had a difficult time settling himself back to sleep. Saturday night, he had no such problems. He woke up asking for Mum Milk around 5, but when he realized that she wasn't there, he fussed for about 30 seconds and put himself back to sleep. No worries, for sure.

I didn't try to exercise in the morning like I usually would. I didn't want to be so far from the children when they were waking. My body needed the rest, anyway.

Cute moment: we switched the arrangement of bedrooms so that Little Bear is sharing with The Boy. This was their idea, because they both liked falling asleep with someone else in the room. Little Bear sleeps on the top bed, The Boy pulls out the trundle and sleeps on that. The beds are right next to each other. So, last night, Little Bear fell out of his bed....and landed on the other bed, snuggled into The Boy, and never really woke up. The Boy woke up long enough to rearrange himself, then fell back asleep. Neither boy decided to join us at night.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: